Monday, October 31, 2011

Fun Fall Fest

           All week long I have worried about our Fall Fest.  And prayed.  Prayed hard that there would be kids there.  We don't have many kids at our church, and the ones that do come mostly come with their grandparents. The church had been successful with Trunk or Treats in the past, though last year's attendance was slim.   I'm not sure how many people know about our church.  To be honest, I grew up only a few miles away and never heard of the church or even knew where it was until we considered sending Drew's resume there.  We have an amazing Family Life Center and plenty of willing volunteers to work with our kids.  At our planning meeting last Sunday there were thirty people there who had signed up to help.  I was completely amazed and nearly cried.  
            I knew our Fall Fest was going to be good.  We had tons of prize booths (16), plus face painting, pumpkin decorating, cookie decorating, popcorn, cotton candy, a continual hayride, a horse ride, and a bouncy castle.  Plus about 100 hotdogs. Oh, and ice cream.  Gotta love our ice cream machine!!  At 3:30 everything was set up and I couldn't help but think, "This is so wonderful!  I just hope people come!"  Someone asked what was left to do and all I could think to tell them was to "pray that people will come!"  I knew of exactly six kids who were coming for sure (including my two)!  I joked to the one kid that was there helping set up that "wasn't this nice of us to throw a big party for her?"  I was mainly just afraid that we would have a lack of attendance that would discourage our church. 
           In about 30 seconds I went from fear that no one would come to fear that too many people would be there.  People started showing up right at 3:50 and we had a steady flow til 5:00.  I didn't know hardly any of them!  Some had seen our signs, others our flyers.  Some were friends of friends and a few had attended VBS at the church and gotten a flyer in the mail.  A few even came because I had given them a flyer at our garage sale the weekend before.  I was thrilled that my friends Sarah and Terri from Bible study came and brought their kids.  We have been praying for our children's ministry at the Bible study and I was so happy to have them come and support us! 
           Our best estimate is that we had around 120 kids there, and at least 200 total.  I think it was slightly more than 200 though when you count all of our workers and adults.  
            Thank you, thank you, thank you, Lord!!
            I had a lot of apologizing to do to God for not trusting enough that we would have a crowd.  He definitely heard our prayers and blessed us!  We have several real prospects that came and a lot of people we will need to contact.
            Next week we will meet with all of our Fall Fest helpers and address the question, "What now?"  There is such potential in Marion and North Lauderdale County!  I am super excited to see how else God will answer our prayers and what He will do in this ministry! 

1 comment:

  1. Children's Ministry is one of your gifts Emily! I'm excited to see how God will use you in Marion. Keep praying - God loves to answer in ways we can't even imagine - Eph. 3:20!

    ReplyDelete