Sunday, October 30, 2011

Adventures in Garage Sale-ing

             Garage sales are quickly becoming a new obsession of mine.  I really enjoy waking up early (by that I mean about 7:30), loading the kids up if I can't talk Drew into babysitting, and riding around town looking for "deals."  I am not the typical garage sale-er, mainly because I don't buy all that much.  Just about everything I see is junk, and I work hard to get rid of my junk so I certainly don't want someone else's.  But, we're not exactly rolling in the dough now that I no longer work, and garage sales fulfill the need for shopping that I have without being all that costly. 
             Last weekend we had a garage sale at our house and it was SO MUCH FUN!  I loved watching people hand me money for my junk!  We did really really well, too, and only had one box of stuff left.  I also passed out Fall Fest flyers and had quite a few people come last night to Fall Fest who said they had met me at the garage sale.  Who knew it'd also be an outreach tool!  Hoping that those same people will also vote for my dad, as I passed out cards for him too at our sale.
             Yesterday I woke up early and decided to check out a few sales.  Trey is in need of a heavier winter coat.  I had a Belk's coupon and was looking there, but knew a good coat would cost at least $25 with a coupon.  So, I decided to scout out some sales.  First one I went to didn't have much, but I did get four children's books for a quarter.  Then I decided to go check out a sale in Bailey.  I was in Marion and knew there was a cut-off road I could take.  
              Now, I grew up in Meridian, but really only lived in Meridian as a driver for two and a half years.  I am really really good at going from my parents house to the following places: FBC Meridian, Meridian High, Mary Alpha School of Dance, the Hicks house, and the mall.  But, I'm not as good at going other places.  I can get anywhere I want just fine, but I don't always take the most direct way possible.  I tend to take major roads and back-track a lot, because that's what I did when I was in high school.  
              Knowing I could cut through from Poplar Springs Drive to 493, but not being sure exactly what the name of the road was, I called my mom.  She told me to cut through on Cook Road.  So, I turned.  I drove and drove and drove.  And drove and drove and drove.  And I knew I had driven too long for the cut-off, but just figured it would hit 493 further north than I had planned.  I finally called my mom when it dead-ended.  She told me to turn right, but I turned left.  This ended up being a good decision because I eventually ended up at Arkadelphia Baptist Church, which is very close to my Aunt Patsy's, and WAY farther north than I was suppose to be.  At least it was something familiar, so I turned right to head south to my parents.  At least I thought I was heading south until I saw a sign that said "KEMPER COUNTY."  This is not good since we live in Lauderdale County and the garage sale was most certainly in Lauderdale County.  I thought about stopping in to say hi to Drew's Aunt Pat, but didn't want to have to call him to tell him I was in Kemper County to get directions.  At this point my mom handed the phone to my dad and he instructed me to turn around and head the other direction (duh!), something I'd already figured out on my own.  
              We finally made it to the Bailey garage sale and I found two nice coats for Trey for a total of $1.50!  Worth the LONG trip, I'd say.  And, Evangeline got to see some nice cows along the way, which she enjoyed!
              I did tell Drew about my little adventure.  He, of course, pointed out that I had grown up in Meridian, had taken that cut-off numerous times with him, blah blah blah.  I mostly tuned him out so not sure what else he had to say about it.
              By the way, I was suppose to make another turn off of Cook Road, or take Buntin-Gunn Road instead to turn off.  
              I think I should download a compass app for my I-phone or learn to use my google maps app! 

No comments:

Post a Comment