Thursday, October 20, 2011

Cookies

         Today Evangeline and I made sugar cookies together, our first official mother/daughter baking activity.  At least, I decided to make them and Evangeline was happy to join in, as she likes anything that's messy, sticky, and tastes good.  
         I was inspired by several things.  First, my sincere love of cookies.  They really are my absolute favorite food.  Especially iced sugar cookies from Jody's bakery in Hattiesburg.  That's one thing I really enjoyed about giving birth at Forrest General: the promise of Jody's cookies from across the street shortly afterward. I had already eaten a frosted duck before learning that I was on a liquid diet following my c-section with Evangeline. Oops.  I wonder, if we have any more kids, who will love me enough to drive down to Hburg and get me Jodys now that we live an hour and a half away?
        I was also inspired by the yummy cookies I had at my sister-in-law Kelly's yesterday, though hers were made from scratch.  Mine were from a Pillsbury buy-one-get-one-free special at Winn Dixie and I had used the other roll Sunday night at Kid's Rock to make little baskets to place baby Moses (a teddy graham wrapped in a fruit roll-up) in.  
       I wanted to go with a fall theme, so we made a pumpkin, cat, and moon.  The moon was more because Evangeline really likes the moon right now because of always reading Goodnight Moon.  I'm sad to say that our pumpkins look more like ovals and the cat is a big blob.  The moon is pretty recognizable, though when my mom came over she asked if it was a ghost.  I guess that would be more along the lines of fall.  
       Evangeline had a great time playing in the flour, licking the cookie cutters (we probably won't be sharing these cookies with anyone but family!), pretending the cookie cutters were bracelets, trying to sneak cookie dough when I wasn't watching, and throwing little bits of cookie dough on the floor.  Overall, I'd say it was a successful mother/daughter baking experience and I look forward to many more!  Maybe we'll even branch out and ice or decorate them next time!
    

No comments:

Post a Comment