Monday, October 24, 2011

Bath time

         The first time we ever bathed Evangeline she was two days old and recently home from the hospital.  She screamed and screamed and screamed.  For starters, it was probably too cold for her.  And I put way too much baby shampoo in her hair which took forever to wash out.  Plus, at two days old, she just really didn't want to be bothered, something true of most newborns.  We caught every minute of it on video and plan on showing her friends someday once she's in high school.  :)
         After about her fourth bath, however, she LOVED it, and has loved baths since.  Drew and I have joked that if Evangeline could take a bath while watching Wonder Pets and eating french fries, she would be the happiest little girl in the world.
         Last night, suddenly, and completely out of nowhere, Evangeline refused to take a bath.  By "refused" I mean she threw an absolute screaming temper tantrum when I tried to set her in the tub.  Huh?  Totally uncharacteristic behavior of a child who I frequently find hanging out in the dry tub saying and signing "bath?"  
         WARNING:  GROSS OUT MOMENT COMING.  DO NOT READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE GROSSED OUT!  WARNING!!!!!
         Saturday night during her bath Evangeline pooped in the tub.  Told you it was gross.  She was screaming "Poo Poo!!!!" and I quickly pulled her out and set her on her potty (which she has still not used though she enjoys sitting on it).  Last night while refusing to get in the tub, she was also screaming "Poo Poo!"  I thought (hopefully) "Oh!  Maybe she has to go potty and doesn't want to poop in the tub again."  Not the case.  She kept looking around the tub for the poo poo and crying about it.  So, I stopped trying to force her to take a bath and figured we'd try later.  She doesn't HAVE to take a bath every night, I thought.  The main reason she gets baths every night is because she so frequently asks to take one anyway.
          This morning I left her unattended a little too long in her highchair with some applesauce.  You can probably picture the scene that I discovered.  The worst part was that she had quite a bit of applesauce in her hair.  So, guess what time it was?  Bath time!  Well, she did it again!  Screamed and screamed all about "poo poo" and "mama out!"  I tried the potty.  Nothing.  I assured her that mommy had cleaned the tub.  With bleach!  If I had taken two baths in it then it was certainly clean!  Reason doesn't work well with a toddler.  I finally had to force her to at least stand in the tub while I washed out her hair (though w/o soap). 
          I am hopeful this is a short phase and she will forget about the poo poo soon.  I am wondering (seriously) if she is OCD and wants to be clean and is grossed out by the poop.  Tonight if she freaks out I am going to try to see if she will get in Drew's shower.  If not, plan C is that I take her to my mom's tub.  I miss my happy bathing girl! 

No comments:

Post a Comment