Sunday, January 29, 2012

Unattended- Poor Trey

          For about six weeks now I have been able to let Evangeline and Trey play together in the living room while doing a few things in other parts of the house.  Our couches are arranged in such a way that Trey can't escape a confined area and we have a baby gate at the door.  For the most part, they have played together well.  Evangeline frequently asks if she can, "Play Trey" as soon as she wakes up from her naps.  I'll occasionally hear a teeny bit of fighting over a toy (which basically means that Evangeline has snatched something that is HERS out of Trey's mouth) but they have done pretty well for the few minutes at a time that I've left them playing.  Until recently.
          A couple of days ago I heard Trey crying and went in there to discover that he was chewing on Genesis Chapter 18 from my Bible. Arg.  I felt like both a bad mother and a bad Christian. Another time Trey was screaming and Evangeline had him pinned down and was hitting him on the back with a Hello Kitty McDonald's toy.  Not sure what that was about, but he did not like it!  Well, yesterday I heard Trey let out a LOUD scream and found Evangeline pulling him into the closet by the head.  She likes the closet and wanted him to play in there with her, I guess.  When I said, "Evangeline!" she just dropped him!  Poor baby! 
          Today was the worst.  I was in the bathroom getting ready for church when I heard Trey start wailing loudly.  I can definitely tell the difference now between a "she took my toy" yell and a "help me mommy!!!" yell.  This was a "help me mommy!" yell and a loud one, at that.  Evangeline had unplugged the lamp and had the cord wrapped TWICE around Trey's neck!  Thankfully she hadn't pulled it too tight!  I'm even more thankful that God gave Trey a good set of lungs! 
          Drew said he was surprised at all the trouble they get into, what with the few things I have to do other than watch them.  I'm worried that our days of leaving them both unattended in the same room have passed for at least a few more months.  It's funny/sad because now if  I put Trey in the living room with her he'll just sit at the baby gate and cry for me.  Poor Trey.  One day he'll be able to defend himself.  I really don't think she means to hurt him.......  She just wants to play!  Poor Trey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment