Friday, January 20, 2012

How to remove sharpie from a baby doll


Evangeline "decorated" both herself and her baby doll (the brand new one she got for Christmas!) with a blue sharpie.  I have NO clue where the sharpie came from and how she got her hands on it.  She can spot a "color" a mile away though.  Thank goodness her brother was taking a nap in his room at the time!  Frustrated because I was in the middle of  doing the dishes from her birthday cake, I googled "how to remove sharpie" and came across a website with "8 ways to remove permanent marker." 
  1. Mr. Clean Magic Eraser
  2. WD-40
  3. Anti-bacterial hand gel
  4. Hairspray
  5. Cooking spray
  6. Nail polish remover
  7. Bleach (depending on the surface)
  8. Goof Off
Some of these I can't try because I don't have them! 

Having previously taught Science, I decided that I would turn this into a little experiment (and blog about it along the way).

Problem: Which product: anti-bacterial hand gel, hairspray, cooking spray, or nail polish remover best removes sharpie from the surface of a baby doll's head.

Hypothesis: I believe the nail polish remover will best remove the permanent marker stains from Evangeline's baby doll.

Procedure:
Step #1: Divide baby doll's head into four equal portions. 
Step#2:  Place hand sanitizer on one portion of the baby doll.  Scrub for 1 minute.
Step #3:  Spray one section of baby doll with hairspray.  Scrub for 1 minute.
Step #4:  Spray one section of baby doll with cooking spray.  Scrub for 1 minute.
Step #5:  Use nail polish remover on one section of baby doll.  Scrub for 1 minute.
Step#6: Compare the results of each section.

Results:
The hand sanitizer appears to have done the best job.  Next best was the nail polish remover, then the cooking spray and lastly the hairspray.  The hairspray made little difference at all.  The hand sanitizer still left behind some blue, so the poor baby doll will never be the same.

Conclusion:  Keep all permanent writing utensils away from near-two year olds because there isn't really a magical solution to getting out the stains.  My hypothesis was wrong: The hand-sanitizer is your best bet.  Also, it may be a good idea to immediately apply the materials instead of first stopping to blog about it.  I will keep scrubbing the rest of the doll with hand-sanitizer and hopefully it will look decent. 

Extension:  If I were to repeat this experiment (which I hopefully won't have to!) I could try different brands of hairspray, cooking spray, and hand-sanitizer.  I used the Bath & Body Works Caribbean Escape brand of hand sanitizer, which made the baby smell really good, but may not have been as effective as Purel.  And, I'm pretty sure my nail polish remover was several years old, so this could have cut down on its effectiveness.  After the experiment concluded I tried some bleach, windex, carpet cleaner, and spray n wash, and none of those made a difference. 

P.S.  I have NO clue how to get the picture at the top to rotate.  Any blog-savy people able to help?

No comments:

Post a Comment