Thursday, March 15, 2012

Spring cleaning, lost keys, and a stump..... oh my!

Yesterday was a good example of how trying to do too much can get you into trouble.  Spring hit with a wham and suddenly I realized that it was HOT outside and my poor children were still wearing long sleeve shirts.  So, even though I was organizing a Team Kid fun night, had a photo session scheduled at Sears for both my kids, and desperately needed a trip to Wal-mart, I decided it would also be a good day to reorganize my children's clothes.  Actually, I didn't so much decide to do it as felt like I was forced into it by all the nice, but hot, weather that was just not compatible with our wardrobes. 

Thank goodness my mom is off for Spring Break!  She came with me to Sears and took Evangeline to Cici's while Trey and I shopped at Wal-mart.  Our Sears pictures were just okay.  Not nearly as good as the ones of Trey we took two weeks ago.  Here's a hint as to why: the guy who took our pictures yesterday was there for an interview two weeks ago when we got Trey's pictures made.  He was nice enough, but I'm confident that I could've gotten some better shots than him.  At least Evangeline is no longer afraid of the big flash, so she didn't freak out like she did at her two year pictures.  More positives are that I easily stayed in my budget since the pictures weren't so great and the newbie accidentally ordered me an extra page of wallets that I did not have to pay for but apparently will still recieve. 

I got home and for once both kids went down easily for naps.  They've been having difficulty (especially Evangeline) since Daylight Savings Time.  I should've known it was too good to be true.  I had plenty of time to put all the clothes that were stacked in various baskets and boxes throughout my house into some of the empty tubs that were in our shed.  I jumped in my van and headed to the shed to load up some tubs when Wham!  I hit something.  My first, sinking, thought was that it was Blue Bell.  Too scared to look under the van for a dead dog, I ran back to the house to see if she was there.  She was lying comfortably on the living room floor.  Whew!  Edy was hanging around so I knew she was not the victim either.  Then I realized that my van was stuck.  Like, really stuck.  Really really stuck.  I called Drew.  No answer.  I texted Drew to call me ASAP.  When he finally arrived we discovered that I had hit a stump.

Now, in my defense, you couldn't see this stump at all because the grass is really grown up around it.  And, since Drew isn't writing this blog, I won't point out any of his reasons for why I should've easily been able to avoid that stump.

Drew spent awhile trying to get my van unstuck and then finally called Mr. David- the man who can do anything- to come and help.  When I say he can do anything, I mean it.  Since we have moved to Marion he has built us bathroom cabinets (he's a master at cabinetry), fixed our hot water heater, made us a turkey for Thanksgiving, a ham for Christmas, baked the best dessert I have ever eaten called California pie (okay, tied for the best ever with Tammy's lemon cookies, Jody's Bakery iced sugar cookies, and Carolyn's Creation's cheesecake.... I like desserts, can't you tell?), built the church a soft serve ice cream machine and then made us ice cream for Evangeline's party.  How this man has stayed single I have no clue.  Anyway, after an hour and a half Drew and Mr. David managed to unstuck my van.  Next time I'm just going to call Mr. David directly.  I'll probably get just as much grief, but in a little nicer way.

Because Drew was busy unstucking my van, and because, unfortunately, the place the van was stuck was Blue Bell's potty spot, I knew Drew would not be able to pick up our pizzas for the Team Kid pizza party. So, I called my mom, my second hero of the day, to once again come to the rescue and watch my kids while I ran to Cici's.  When I dropped the pizzas off at the church we already had one family there.  They had misread the bulletin and come an hour early.  Their granddaughter had been to Vacation Bible the past few summers, but Sunday was their first official time to visit the church.  So, naturally, I asked them to help me clear out some tables and put them straight to work!  They are really hard workers and I am very thankful they came early! 

We had a great fun night with sixteen kids at church.  The only mishap was a lost tooth.  I teased Maggie telling her that she lost her tooth twice!  The first time it fell out of her mouth.  The second, it accidentally got thrown in the garbage.  I hated for the poor child not to get any tooth fairy money :) so we dug through the trash and Mrs. Sherry came out with the tooth! 

The tooth was not the only thing to be lost.  Somewhere in the process of cleaning up I borrowed Drew's church keys.  I really, REALLY, thought I had returned them to him but a while later he asked me for them.  They weren't in my pockets.  I searched the entire building.  No keys.  By the end of the night, everyone was searching.  As a pastor, Drew feels like it is important for him to have keys to the church and his office, etc.  I agree. But, the keys were lost.  After we went home and put the kids to bed I went back to the Family Life Center and searched again.  By this point, I was kinda feeling like our marriage was at stake (just kidding, but I certainly was testing it!). I dug through another trash can with no luck.  Finally, I came home and recieved a lecture on how I never give Drew his keys back when I borrow them which is, sadly, true. 

Two guesses as to who found the keys first thing this morning?  Yep, the man who can do anything.  I don't know why we didn't call him last night!  I'm just glad Drew has his keys!  I think I need to put Mr. David's number on speed dial. 

No comments:

Post a Comment