Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Don't Drink and Drive

March 6, 1994 is a day I will never, ever forget.  That Sunday morning I was finishing up a retreat with my youth group at Lake Forest Ranch.  I had had a really good weekend on one of my first youth trips.  I spent a lot of time playing tennis and thought that I might like to start taking lessons.  Also, that morning, while on a walk around the lake, I'd seen a deer.  I got very excited and thought, "I wish I could see Granny Gay so I could tell her about this deer!"  Spotting deer was something that Granny Gay enjoyed doing with all her grandkids.  Every year we would go to Guntersville State Park and count how many deer we saw.  I was definitely brought up in an anti-hunting family!  Later that evening I felt guilty for ever wishing I would see Granny that day!

That afternoon we took our dog, Freckles, on a walk by the creek.  Katie caused Freckles to jump up and I got a bad scratch on my leg.  I yelled at Katie for causing me to get scratched on my leg.  Felt bad about that later, too.

I went to church early that evening because we had youth choir practice.  My mom and sister would be coming later for church and then to take me home, something we did every Sunday night.  I remember glancing up in the sanctuary from the choir loft and noticing that they weren't there yet.  I didn't think too much of it.  They were either late, or had decided just to come get me and not go to church.  Something had come up.

Towards the end of the service, I felt a tap on my shoulder.  One of the ushers motioned for me to come to the back of the sanctuary.  "What did he need with me?" I wondered.  One of my neighbors was standing at the back (front) of the church.  It was my friend Ramey's mom.  Our pastor was also there, having just given the invitation.  Mrs. Rush explained that my mom and sister had been in a "little fender bender" and she was taking me to the hospital to see them.  She was lying.  It was more than a "little fender bender," but I am grateful today that she sugar-coated it so much.  Her sister was also with her.  Apparently her sister had come by her house and said that she'd driven by a wreck and thought it was a familiar car, one of their neighbors.  They immediately drove out to the scene, only a few miles away.  They found out the details and saw off the ambulance.  They were even there when my dad happened upon the scene.  He's who told them where I was and asked them to go get me.  As we drove to the hospital, my first clue that this was worse than I had been led to believe was when I found out they were at Riley hospital.  Longer story than I'll go into, but I knew that my mom would have never gone to Riley's on her own, though I will add that Riley did a wonderful job taking care of them during their stay. 

When we arrived in the ER waiting room my dad, Grandmama, Granddaddy, Uncle Shag, and Aunt Mary were all there, among a few others.  I remember my dad being on the phone a lot.  He'd called my mom's parents to give them updates.  Sammy Bill and Granny Gay were unfortunate to have had all three of their children in car accidents involving drunk drivers and this was sadly familiar for them. My dad had been so upset talking to them that he'd told them that it was mom and me, not Katie, in the accident.  When they asked on the phone how I was, he said, "fine! She's standing right here! But Katie's got a broken leg." 

For the most part, Katie was okay.  Her major injury was a broken femur and she was in a lot of pain.  When I arrived at the hospital my mom was upstairs getting tests run.  Her injuries were more serious.  She suffered a blow-out fracture to the face.  Her doctor said it was like getting hit in the eye with a line drive.  She also had a broken ankle, hip (I think), and tons of cuts and bruises. 

Everyone kept asking me if I was okay and trying to comfort me.  My Aunt Mary bought me pretzels from the vending machine.  I was wearing a long sleeve hunter green shirt and khaki shorts.  People kept rubbing my legs and I was embarrassed because I hadn't shaved all weekend. 

I was allowed to go into the ER to see Katie.  By that point her third grade teacher, Mrs. Stewart, had arrived.  Katie's leg was in a sling and she was in a gown.  Her cute little leopard outfit had been cut in two.  Katie complained about her foot being cold and Mrs. Stewart took off her own sock and placed it on Katie's foot.  I felt guilty for not thinking of that.  Afterall, I was her sister.  But, I have remembered that moment so many times as a teacher.  I want to be the kind of teacher who will give the socks off her feet to one of her students! 

I didn't get to see my mom until many hours later in the ICU.  By that time, Sammy and Granny had arrived.  I'd forgotten all about wanting to tell her about the deer.  My mom was really really swollen and in obvious, severe pain.  And there was nothing I could do. 

There was never a moment where I thought they may not make it and I can credit Mrs. Rush for that one.  I always thought that it was "just a fender bender" and they'd be fine.  Thankfully, I was right. 

That night we got home and discovered that Katie's hamster, Dizzy, had escaped from his cage.  I told Granny, "I am NOT going back to that hospital and telling my sister her hamster is gone!"  Granny said, "I am NOT sleeping in this room with that hamster out of its cage."  We found Dizzy under the bed and I don't think I ever told Katie he'd gotten out. 

The next day I went to school.  Big mistake.  I learned that if there is ever a tragic family event, it's a good idea to keep kids out of school the next day.  I spent the entire day crying.  Everyone knew about the wreck.  It had happened on a major road in North Meridian, right in front of The Landing restaurant.  Traffic had been blocked for a while.  Everyone knew and everyone knew it was my mom and my sister. Even those who meant well and would say, "I'm so sorry!!" would make me cry.  I was thankful that my English teacher pulled me out of Social Studies to check on me.  We sat in the courtyard and talked and she even bought me a Sprite out of the drink machine in the teacher's lounge, which I didn't drink because I was so upset. 

We spent the next month driving back and forth to the hospital.  My mom came home in ten days, but because Katie had pins in her leg, she had to stay five weeks.  She got tons and tons and tons of gifts in the first few weeks.  Then, Easter came and she got more stuffed bunny rabbits than you'd ever imagine.  Granny and I made sure that the Easter bunny would come visit her in the hospital! 

The ladies of First Baptist Meridian did a fantastic job providing meals for our family.  For six straight weeks we had a meal every single night. 

Sammy and Granny stayed with us a long time.  That's how I got my first alarm clock; Sammy bought it for me, tired of having to wake me up like my mom always had. 

We learned from witnesses that a drunk driver had swerved into my mom's lane and hit them head-on.  Thank goodness they were in a van, or the impact could have easily killed them.  My family does not drink.  And after this, we certainly never have.  Drinking and driving hurts people.  The effects are felt even eighteen years later.  My mom's eye has never been the same.  But, my mom and Katie were lucky.  They survived!  Please, if you drink, don't drive! 
 

2 comments:

  1. It's so interesting to read this. I remember this accident. It was the year after we moved to Maryland and Katie and I had decided to be pen pals. She wrote to me and told me that she had broken her leg, but I had no idea about all the other injuries that your mom received.

    And thanks for the reminder about drinking and driving. I wish that more people would think about it before having to experience something like this or something even worse.

    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow..this was overwhelming to read! It is so interesting that I learned things I never knew or never thought about.

    Things I never knew:
    The deer story
    The "little fender bender" story
    That Mrs. Rush's sister was with her
    That Dad told Granny and Sammy you were in the wreck
    That Aunt Mary and Uncle Shag were there
    That your legs were hairy

    Things I knew but forgot:
    The scratch on your leg
    My foot was cold

    Things I never realized:
    That you were just as worried about Mama as I was (Of course you were..that makes sense!)
    That you noticed we hadn't yet arrived to church. That was a little chilling.

    Questions:
    Who was your English teacher?
    I thought Dizzy was asleep on my pillow when you found him?
    How long did Granny and Sammy stay?
    Did someone say that was fared better because we were in a van?

    Additions:
    Sorry about the scratch. But you and Ramey also locked me out of her house and were mean to me that day :)
    I did get TONS of bunny rabbits!
    Funny about Riley Hospital :)

    Things I'd like to know:
    Is there an accident file somewhere?
    Pictures of the van?
    A list of witnesses?

    ReplyDelete