Monday, December 24, 2012

A (slightly) traumatic Christmas Eve

            This Christmas Eve will forever go down as the one in which Drew tried to set my parent's living room on fire.  Within about a minute of opening a sweatshirt from my parents, the sweatshirt was a blaze as he had set it on a candle.  Yikes!  Definitely sounds more like something I would've done than Drew, who, like Mary Poppins, is practically perfect in every way.  He's very observant and rarely careless.  Saturday I lost my keys for two hours and they were discovered on top of my mom's car that she had been driving ALL OVER TOWN!  That, for example, is not something Drew would ever do.  In fairness to him, he was trying to hold on to a 19  month old who was singing the Wonder Pets theme at the top of his lungs while playing with his new Wonder Pets steering wheel, fending off the big sister who kept snatching it away, and also opening a present.  I, for one, can certainly understand how you might become distracted while dealing with two young, wiggly, loud children.  Happens to me daily.  Besides, Drew would like me to point out, that this is the first time he can ever recall my mom lighting candles and placing them on that table.  Probably will be the last year she ever does, too.  :)  I was busy videotaping (though, sadly, set the camera down shortly before discovering the fire).  Drew feels really bad about burning the shirt, but it could've been worse.  He could've burned the crocs that he really likes, one of the kids' toys, his own shirt, a cat, etc.  The fire was put out quickly, but still will remain A Christmas Story moment for us. 
             Speaking of A Christmas Story, Evangeline caught about a thirty second glimpse of it tonight and it just happened to be the scene where the little boy gets his tongue stuck to a pole.  I walked in the living room as she was jumping up and down and screaming to my dad, "Scary! Scary!  No! No!  Turn it off!"  Of course, dad couldn't get the remote to work immediately, so she continued to scream.  When he finally did get the channel changed it was to wrestling.  Probably not much better.  She was effectively traumatized by the whole event and kept periodically crying throughout the rest of the night, worrying that her tongue, or Trey's tongue, might get stuck on something.  We are trying to use the experience as a hygiene lesson: "This is why you don't lick things, honey."  I feel confident that she will be keeping her tongue to herself for a while! 
                Now our babies are snuggled up in their beds, waiting for Santa to stop by.  We read the Christmas story from the Gospel of Matthew tonight and it made me really, really thankful for Luke.  Can you imagine what our Christmas traditions would be like with only Matthew?  Mark and John have nothing to work with as it is.  Would we even know how they got to Bethlehem, and why? 
                 Thankful for the opportunity to celebrate Christ's birth with my family today and tomorrow, and praying that the weather won't be that terrible!

No comments:

Post a Comment